"Beer Bellies" Cocoa-Stout Cupcakes with Beer-Malt Frosting
Creator: Jennifer Burke/CA
Adventure Ingredients: Stout Beer, Coconut butter, Sweetened Condensed Milk, Chili Pepper, Meyer Lemon
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/3 cup Plus 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup Scharffen Berger Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon natural malted milk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces stout beer
- 1 Tablespoon coconut butter
- 1/2 Tablespoon Meyer lemon juice
- 2 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 ounce Scharffen Berger Bittersweet Dark Chocolate (70%), roughly cut into shards (about 1"x 1/4" x 1/8")
spicy pretzel crumbles:
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- pinch salt
- 2 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/2 cup crushed pretzel sticks
- 1/2 cup natural malted milk powder
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces stout beer
- 1 Tablespoon Meyer lemon juice
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For the cupcakes: Line mini cupcake pans with mini paper liners and set aside.
- Sift together the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a saucepan bring stout to a boil and continue boiling for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut butter to melt.
- Add lemon juice and allow to cool slightly, until mixture is lukewarm.
- Stir in sweetened condensed milk and whisk in the lightly beaten egg.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Distribute batter among the lined mini cupcake pans, filling each about 1/2 full.
- Stand a chocolate shard directly in the center of each cup.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, remove cupcakes from the pan and set on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the pretzel crumbles: Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Using fingers, work in butter and then the crushed pretzels to create a coarse crumble.
- Spread the mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. And bake for 12-14 minutes, gently stirring once halfway through baking.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- For the frosting: In a double boiler or a heat proof bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the butter and sugar.
- Melt the mixture, stirring continuously until very thick, about 12 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and strain through a sieve to remove any lumps. Cool completely.
- Once the malt mixture has cooled, cream together with the butter.
- Incorporate the sugar and whip thoroughly, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you add the sugar.
- To assemble: Using a 3/8 inch pastry tip, pipe a "donut" of frosting encircling the "belly button" of the cupcake.
- Top each cupcake with the spicy pretzel crumbles and serve.
*Note: Upon removal from the oven, these cupcakes should sink in the middle, due to the shard of chocolate, creating a belly button effect. If they don't, give them a poke in the center when they come out, and before they have cooled.