Smoky Cocoa-Dusted Pommes Frites with Peanut-Cumin Dipping Sauce
Author: Edwina Gadsby/MT
Adventure Ingredients: Raw honey, Peanut butter, Cumin, Paprika (any varietal), Smoked sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Scharffen Berger Natural Cocoa Powder
- 1-1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons smoked sea salt – to taste
- 5 large baking potatoes (Russet or Yukon Gold), peeled
- 1 quart peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano or cilantro, optional
- 1 cup good-quality mayonnaise (homemade or purchased)
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
For Pommes Frites: Combine Scharffen Berger Natural Cocoa Powder, smoked paprika, cumin, and sea salt; set aside.
Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices, then cut each slice into 1/4-inch-thick fries. Place in large bowl of cold (ice) water.
Heat oil in large saucepan to 325 degrees. Drain fries, in batches, on paper towels. Fry in batches until a pale golden color, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
Increase oil temperature to 375 degrees. Working in batches, fry the potatoes again, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Liberally season with the cocoa mixture. Sprinkle with oregano (or cilantro), if desired.
For Dipping Sauce: Whisk together mayonnaise, peanut butter, honey, lemon juice, and cumin.
Paper cones filled with the fries and individual dipping bowls make for a fun presentation.