Creator: Martina Nemling, CA
Adventure Ingredients: Kaffir lime leaf, Mango, Palm sugar
- 1 cup diced mango, 1/2- inch squares
- 4 ounces Ketel One vodka
- 3 teaspoons palm sugar
- 3 tablespoons Scharffen Berger Natural Cocoa Powder, plus additional for rimming the glasses
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 8 ounces cold 1% milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 two-inch kaffir lime leaves, julienned
This unusual combination of flavors marries chocolate with mango and kaffir for an elegant martini-style cocktail that can be made in three easy steps: 1. Make the mango-infused vodka, 2. Make the kaffir lime infused cocoa, 3. Assemble the cocktails. Both the mango-infused vodka and the kaffir infused cocoa can be made up to a day in advance.
1. Make the mango infused vodka: put diced mango in a jar, add half the vodka and muddle to break up the pieces. Add the rest of the vodka, put the lid on the jar and shake vigorously for five seconds. Refrigerate for 2 hours, shaking occasionally. After 2 hours, strain the mango, pressing the fruit to remove all the liquid, and stir 1 tsp of the palm sugar into the vodka until dissolved. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Make the kaffir lime infused cocoa: mix the cocoa powder and water into a smooth paste in a bowl. Add the milk and stir until the chocolate paste is dispersed. Pour into saucepan and put over low heat. Add 2 teaspoons of the palm sugar, a pinch of salt and kaffir lime leaves and heat until the mixture is hot, but not boiling, and the palm sugar has dissolved, stirring often. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 20 minutes. Strain out kaffir lime leaves and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until ready to use.
3. Assemble the cocktails: Rim four small martini glasses with the vodka and cocoa powder. Pour 4 ounces of cocoa and 2 ounces of vodka in a cocktail shaker with a couple ice cubes. Shake vigorously and strain into two martini glasses. Repeat to make two more.